Database administrator (DBA)
Database administrator (DBA) – a specialist responsible for the maintenance of database management systems (DBMS). The most well-known systems of this kind are Oracle, MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server. DBA develops database requirements, designs it, ensures stable database operation and user access to the server, maintains system integrity.
They are also responsible for its security: protect the system from unauthorized access; manage accounts that contain user information for the computer system; install anti-virus programs and back up data.
This is one of the most popular professionals in any company that needs to work with the database. After all, it is the database administrator who controls and ensures the operation of all communication systems used by the business company in its activities. Usually, large companies have a separate department that maintains the database, and in small – such functions can be performed by the system administrator.
Our students, while studying the profile and elective disciplines of the educational program, can gain theoretical foundations and practical skills in working with databases. Among them: knowledge of SQL; knowledge of different operating systems; basic knowledge of Intranet / Internet technologies and protocols, knowledge of discrete mathematics, statistics and statistical analysis, ability to work with data warehouses (relational and non-relational), knowledge of tools for data analysis and modeling: R, Python (NumPy / SciPy), Matlab , SPSS / SAS.
Skills required to work in the field of data science.
To become a data processing specialist, you will need many skills, but some of them are especially important for work:
– Analytical skills. Data processors need to be organized in their thinking and analyze the results of their research to draw conclusions.
– Communication skills. Data processors do not work alone – they work with programmers and managers and must be able to communicate clearly with them.
– Critical and logical thinking. As data processors work on complex problems, critical thinking is a prerequisite for success, as is the talent to think and rely on logic.
– Mathematical skills. This is probably not surprising, but data processors need to have knowledge of advanced mathematics and technical issues that are critical to computing. ”
– Ingenuity. Cleverness is often required when solving complex problems. Database administrators need to be able to find innovative ways to solve problems, especially when their ideas do not initially work as intended.
Hard Skills. Database administrators should be fluent in a number of different programming languages and programs. Although there are many different types, Glassdoor research has shown that Python, R, and SQL are the three most common.
Where do database administrators work?
Database administrators can work in different companies, including:
- state and government departments and companies;
- computer systems design companies;
- departments and companies engaged in research and development in all fields of science and industry;
- colleges, universities and other educational institutions;
- software companies;
- transport companies;
- delivery companies;
- technology companies.